It’s rare for people to have perfect teeth. Between common problems like cavities and sports injuries, most have had some simple work done to make their smiles healthier and stronger.
But what happens if you have a very big problem? There are cases where a tooth is so damaged, infected, or otherwise unhealthy that removing it is the last, best hope for your smile. Our dentists at the Shuayb Dental Institute in Crystal River, FL are highly trained and experienced at performing oral surgery procedures like this, so call today at (352) 794-6354 to schedule an appointment.
Once you have your procedure scheduled, there are a few things you can do at home to make your tooth extraction surgery go more smoothly.
Here’s what you can do before your appointment so you can have an easier time:
• Call to clarify any pre-op or post-op instructions: You’ll likely receive some instructions at your last visit before the procedure. Be sure to read these days ahead of time. That way, you can call and clarify anything that’s confusing or unclear. The last thing you need is to be unsure about things the night before.
• Get some games, books, or shows ready for while you rest: Chances are, you’ll need some time to rest and recuperate after your oral surgery. There are only so many hours you can nap! That’s why you should get some fun things to occupy your time before your tooth extraction.
• Buy soft, bland foods to eat: Of course, you’ll need to eat afterward. But foods that are spicy or chewy can literally hurt your mouth after oral surgery. Go to the store and get some foods like mashed potatoes, soup, and yogurt that won’t aggravate your mouth.
• Put some ice packs in the freezer beforehand: Pain relievers are often a great idea, but people sometimes have trouble with swelling after such a procedure. That’s why you should put some ice packs in the freezer before leaving for our Crystal River, FL dental office.
• Plan on comfortable clothes and no jewelry: You’ll be lying in our dental chair for a while, so make sure you lay out some clothes that fit comfortably. You’ll also want to leave any earrings, piercings, and necklaces at home.
Do You Need Oral Surgery?
Why would you ever need a tooth removed? There are several reasons, but they all come down to the same point: There’s no other way to keep your smile healthy. Specifically, here is what could require a dental extraction:
• Infected tooth: Bacteria are what cause cavities and gum disease, but they can slip past your enamel and infect the inside of a tooth. As the infection spreads, it starves the tooth and causes it to grow brittle. If the infection isn’t caught in time, removing it may be the only course of action.
• Broken tooth: There are ways to repair damaged teeth (such as dental crowns), but if a tooth is badly broken, there might not be enough left to save.
• Wisdom tooth: Many people need these removed because they come in underneath your other molars. This can lead to an impacted tooth and knock your other teeth out of alignment.
Call the Shuayb Dental Institute in Crystal River, FL today at (352) 794-6354 or use our online form to schedule your next appointment.